Thursday, November 1, 2012

Religious presidents ..


The last couple of days I’ve really had my mind opened to the US elections. Something that really tickles my fancy is the question about religion which is lurking in the shadows of this event. More than one person has stated that the world will end if we get a Mormon as president.

Sure, there’s no excuse for being a Mormon, and the Republican Party never cease to amaze with all their stupid statements about hell and what not, but obviously their speaking for a massive chunk of the people. They DO receive a lot of economic support and believe it or not, not all of it comes from the banks. If the majority of all the voters thought that Mitt Romney was the world’s largest douchebag with an IQ that belongs in kindergarten, then obviously we wouldn’t be having this discussion. The reality is a little bit different, take a look at this pic which represents a outcome of a theoretical election in May 2012.


Another question is: do you really think that Obama’s religion of choice makes him that much better? After all he’s expressed a Christian belief which at least makes me wonder.

Cathedral Age: How does faith play a role in your life?
President Obama: First and foremost, my Christian faith gives me a perspective and security that I don’t think I would have otherwise: That I am loved. That, at the end of the day, God is in control -- and my main responsibility is to love God with all of my heart, soul and mind, and to love my neighbor as myself. Now, I don’t always live up to that standard, but it is a standard I am always pursuing.

Of course I’d vote for Obama either way, but this has nothing to do with religious beliefs. The economy, abortion and the right to gay marriage (even if Obama’s former opinions makes me giggle) are to me very important points where we see enormous differences of opinion. So if you’re a firm believer in human rights and all that bullshit just like I am, maybe you should consider Obama after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment